This article was first published on NSman, The eNSman Newsletter by SPH.
Smart Tips for a Healthy Iftar
Hui Xin Wong, Dietitian Consultant with Doctor Anywhere, recommends these tips for breaking your fast safely and healthily.
- Hydrate yourself before eating – Water is best, but other choices include milk and fresh juices without added sugar. Choose fluids that don’t contain caffeine as caffeinated drinks can be dehydrating. Try to avoid sweetened beverages like cordials and sodas which are loaded with sugars and calories.
- Break your fast with dates – Dates are usually eaten at the start of the iftar meal according to tradition, and for good reason. Dates contain natural sugar that helps to balance low blood sugar and refuel the body after long hours of fasting. Consuming two unsweetened dates helps to raise your blood sugar to optimal levels.
- Consume lots of greens – Choose fresh vegetables as they contain higher amounts of vitamins and minerals. They can be boiled, baked, steamed or stir-fried with little oil. Colourful salads are healthy as they provide different kinds of nutrients too.
- Choose healthier carbs – Carbohydrates help to fill you up and replenish your energy quickly. Some good choices of carbohydrates include brown rice, whole grain pasta and whole grain breads. These are excellent sources of fibre and minerals as well.
- Avoid fried and processed foods – Consuming healthy lean proteins during iftar is important to maintain muscle mass. Stay away from fried chicken, fatty meats, organ meats and processed foods such as hotdogs and sausages. Instead, go for fish, lean beef and lamb, moderate amounts of prawns, legumes such as beans, lentils and peas, as well as eggs.
Throughout the month of Ramadan, which runs till 21 April 2023, Muslims fast from dawn to dusk. At sunset, they buka puasa or break their day’s fast with a meal called iftar. Take your pick of fulfilling halal-certified Ramadan buffets, set menus and takeaway bundles to satisfy your family’s iftar needs.
Ramadan Set Menus at Rasa Istimewa Restaurant
Exclusively available at its SAFRA Jurong outlet, Ramadan 2023 set menus at Rasa Istimewa Restaurant are excellent value-for-money options for larger gatherings or extended families. Groups of five get the choice of five dishes, while groups of 10 can pick eight dishes – both come with the respective portions of steamed white rice. Must-tries include 3-Flavours Fried Tigarasa Whole Fish, Cereal Butter Prawns, Sambal Mussels, Thai Chilli Chicken Cutlet, Kang Kong Belacan, and Tom Yum Seafood Soup. Whether you prefer to dine in or takeaway, do note that pre-orders close by 4pm every day. $90++ for 5 diners or $208++ for 10 diners till 21 April 2023. SAFRA members enjoy 10% off dine-in or takeaway. Find out more at safra.sg/amenities-offerings/rasa-istimewa-restaurant
Ramadan Set Meal at Eatzi Gourmet Steakhouse & Bistro
Treat yourself and loved ones to a change of flavours with a Western-style iftar meal at Eatzi Gourmet Steakhouse & Bistro. Their Ramadan set meal for two makes a return by popular demand. Whet your appetite with Soup of the Day or Crispy Calamari Rings to start. Choices for main courses include Eatzi’s Sizzling Chicken Steak, Sambal Nasi Goreng with Satay, and New England’s Fish & Chips. For dessert, enjoy a single scoop of Gelato or a slice of Mango, Blackforest, or Chocolate Mousse cake, along with refreshing Iced Traditional Bandung, Iced Peach Tea with Aloe Vera, or Cream Soda. $53++ for 2 diners for dine-in till 21 April 2023.
SAFRA members enjoy 10% off total food bill. Find out more at safra.sg/promotions/eatzi-gourmet-steakhouse-bistro
Ramadan Sets at Siam Kitchen
Did you know that our homegrown Siam Kitchen was recently awarded the Thai Select Seal of Approval for Thai Cuisine by Thailand’s Ministry of Commerce? Just for this season, it has put together special dine-in Ramadan sets that showcase its best-selling authentic Thai dishes. The set for two comprises two appetisers, four mains and a dessert, while the set for six comes with two extra mains. Menu highlights include Thai Mango Salad, Tom Yum Soup, Hat Yai Fried Chicken, Thai Olive Fried Rice, and Mango Sticky Rice. Wash it all down with Iced Thai Bandung and Iced Lime Rose. $48.50++ for 2 diners or $148.50++ for 6 diners till 21 April 2023. SAFRA members enjoy 15% off total bill. Find out more at safra.sg/amenities-offerings/siam-kitchen
Ramadan Feast at Wingstop
No matter the season, there’s nothing like fried chicken to bring family and friends together. This Ramadan, bond over a Wingstop feast overflowing with your favourite flavours, from sweet-savoury Kecap Manis to tangy-spicy Mango Habanero. Wingstop’s limited-time Ramadan Feast includes 16-piece Boneless Wings and 8-piece Classic Wings, as well as two Large Voodoo Fries, one Large Curly Fries, one Large Cajun Fries, plus four Ranch Dips to complete the experience. Each set feeds three to four, depending on your appetites! $43.50 per set for dine-in or takeaway till 21 April 2023. Find out more at safra.sg/promotions/ramadan-feast-@-wingstop
Iftar Fiesta at The Buffet Restaurant
Buka puasa with complimentary medjool dates, then dip into a sumptuous hotpot spread of fresh seafood and premium cuts of beef, lamb, and chicken. At M Hotel Singapore’s The Buffet Restaurant, you can select two flavourful MSG-free broths, such as the nourishing Supreme Collagen Rich Broth or piquant Singapore Laksa. To supplement the hotpot, rotating iftar favourites include Bubur Lambuk, Oxtail Asam Pedas and Rendang Tok Itik. On weekends, each diner gets to relish half a Rock Lobster, as well as Roast Leg of Lamb from the carving station. Finally, end your meal on a sweet note with Deep-fried Cempedak, Chocolate Fondue and Chef Boz’s signature Pengat. From $58++ per adult till 23 April 2023, 6pm – 10pm
SAFRA members enjoy 15% off buffet prices. Find out more at safra.sg/promotions/the-buffet-restaurant
Ramadan 2023 Iftar Buffet with BBQ Feast at Atrium Restaurant
Meat-lovers should make a beeline for Atrium Restaurant’s iftar buffet this year at Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium. Stealing the limelight in a spread of over 40 dishes is the Whole Spice Roast Baby Lamb. Available exclusively for dinner on Fridays to Sundays, the tender roast comes with pita bread, sambal belacan, spicy kicap manis, yoghurt dip and tomato salsa with jalapeno. On other nights, fill your plates with Lamb Chops, Rib Eye, Lamb Leg or Turkey Breast from the carving station, as well as freshly grilled Sambal Squid, Honey Chicken Wings, Otah-Otah, and more. Don’t miss the Slow-baked Whole Norwegian Salmon, Gado-Gado and Mutton Rendang too. From $45++ per adult, from $25++ per child till 1 May.
Sedap Ramadan Family Feast at PastaMania
Savour new creations at Italian casual dining chain PastaMania this Ramadan. The homegrown and halal-certified restaurant introduces Chilli Seafood Pasta with crispy prawn chilli, mussels and scallops, and Roti John BBQ Chicken Pizza topped with BBQ sauce-marinated baked chicken, shredded hard-boiled egg, mayonnaise and chilli sauce. The Sedap Family Feast, which feeds four, features one of each, as well as your choice of two other pastas, two Rainbow Brownies, and four beverages. The new dishes are also available individually or as a dine-in exclusive combo for one. Promo available at 18 locations islandwide.