Let’s face it, we all love to snack, and at times, feel guilty about it too. But what if snacking can be healthy, and still retain all that tasty goodness? We’ll show you how with these super simple recipes that are bound to keep your taste buds tingling for more.
1. Avocado Crackers
Avocados are filled with vitamin E and unsaturated fat, which are great for you. It’s known to help prevent heart disease, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. But due to its high fat content, you might want to limit yourself to two avocados per week.
- Cut the avocados into small cubes or slices and top them on your favourite crackers.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice, chilli or tomatoes for extra taste.
2. Almond Butter Toast
Almond butter is a healthier alternative to peanut butter, and an excellent source of Vitamin E, an antioxidant that fights cell damage. It’s also abundant in magnesium, which helps to regulate blood pressure and heart health.
- Almond butter is available in most convenient stores.
- Spread a small serving on whole-grain bread and top it up with some chia seeds.
3. Zucchini Bites
This summer squash is low in calories but packed with anti-inflammatory benefits that can boost heart health. What’s more? It contains nutrients that can improve eye health, control diabetes and promote better digestion.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Slice the zucchini into 1/4” rounds, brush them in olive oil and top it with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella and pepperoni.
- Bake for at least 5 minutes, until slightly soft and brown.
4. Frozen Fruits
Frozen fruits are a great alternative to ice cream, and almost no preparation is required for this guilt free snack. If you’re the more adventurous type, blend it with almond milk, greek yoghurt and a dash of honey for a simple, power-packed smoothie.
- Different assortments of frozen berries are available in most grocery stores.
- You can also freeze fresh fruits such as bananas, mangoes and strawberries – a healthier choice.
5. Baked Apple Chips
Apples are an excellent source of fibre, vitamins and antioxidants. Fibre soften your stools, preventing constipation, while vitamin C keeps your skin and bones strong and healthy. If you’re reaching for sugar toppings, swap them with cinnamon for another load of health and metabolism benefits.
- Preheat the oven to 110°.
- Cut the apples into thin slices and sprinkle it with cinnamon.
- Bake for up to an hour until golden brown and dried.
6. Cauliflower Tahini
Not the prettiest vegetable but certainly one of the most versatile, cauliflower has been known to fight cancer, inflammation, heart issues and brain disorders. It also contains high levels of vitamins and minerals, which improves digestion, detoxification, weight loss and eye health.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Boil small florets of cauliflower for a few minutes.
- Dry and roast them in the oven for 40 minutes until tender and slightly brown.
- In a separate bowl, whisk sesame tahini with garlic and lemon juice.
So what are you waiting for? Take a stab at one of these recipes and give your body the love and nutrition it deserves. For more healthy snacks that’ll satisfy your stomach, check out what we have in our in-app Marketplace!